Out of the violent streets of Victorian London comes the art of gentleman’s self-defense, Bartitsu. Developed initially by Edward William Barton-Wright at his Bartitsu club in 1898, this unique mixed martial art is a combination of Jujitsu with English scientific boxing and French Savate and Cane-Fighting. As the walking stick was a staple of fashion, it made sense to use that tool for gentlemen’s protection, and Bartitsu became famous for its unique cane-fighting style.
In 1899, Barton-Wright summarized the essential principles of Bartitsu as:
- To disturb the equilibrium of your assailant.
- To surprise him before he has time to regain his balance and use his strength.
- If necessary, to subject the joints of any parts of his body, whether neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist, back, knee, ankle, etc. to strains that they are anatomically and mechanically unable to resist.
Studying Bartitsu at Academie Duello
At Academie Duello we practice both what has come to be known as Canonical Bartitsu; which includes those techniques that were formally documented by Barton-Wright in his many articles, and Neo-Bartitsu; the art as it can be, calling on the broader techniques of its component disciplines while keeping to Bartitsu’s core principles.
Students of this program have the opportunity to:
- Practice punching, kicking, throws, joint locks, grapples, and stick fighting.
- Develop grace, poise, and quickness through the study of an effective mixed martial art.
- Develop real-world self-defence skills.
- Build personal fitness and mental quickness through an art that emphasizes many different combat distances.
- Grow in skill in a program that builds from beginner fundamentals to advanced strategies and applications.
- Connect with an intriguing part of history while learning something that is still applicable today.
Our practice of Bartitsu is an excellent form of physical fitness, discipline, and practical self-defence with an upright Victorian flare. Get started with the Bartitsu Fundamentals course or join us for a seasonal Umbrella Self-Defence Workshops.