To receive important updates and our youth program newsletter, “The Knightly News”, please join our email list, here!
In our premier youth program, Knight Academie, students train to become fully-fledged knights versed in the Historical Martial Arts of Europe learning and practicing longsword fighting, sword & shield course, polearms fighting, archery course, and the Knightly Virtues, such as Integrity, Mercy, and Courage!
Students in Knight Academie follow the same rank progression as participants in Academie Duello’s Knight Camp, from Paggio (Page) to Cavalieri su Veglia (Knight on Vigil), as they progress on their path to knighthood.
Each 12-week term includes:
– 12 hours of weapons classes, including lessons on longsword fighting, sword & shield, and polearms
– 12 hours of archery classes, for beginners and experienced shooters
– Knightly Virtue lessons with Virtue Quests to complete each week
– Exercises and drills for improving skills at home between classes
– Sparring practice and tournaments!
– A Grand Tournament that takes place in the last class of the semester! (Parents encouraged to attend!)
– Knightly Trials to accomplish in each of the seven progressive rankings, from page to knight
– Bonus 30 minutes of practice time after each class to get extra help, more sparring, and work on Knightly Trials!
8 to 14
$720 + tax (no t-shirt)
$749.95 + tax (cotton t-shirt)
(Monthly payment plans are available! Please call 604-568-9907 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get one set up for you!)
Dates and Times:
April 2 to June 25, 2022 (no class on May 28)
- Saturdays from 11:00am – 1:30pm
Knight Academie is a weekly, ongoing version of Knight Camp (video above).
Frequently Asked Questions
- What precautions are you taking to make your classes COVID-safe?
We are closely monitoring sanitization of any equipment used after class, and highly recommend masks be worn during class. Fortunately, swords have social distancing built-in, and we will not be teaching any techniques that require close or body-to-body contact. Please visit our website to see our full COVID-safety protocol.
- Do I need to buy extra gear for my child?
Your child will need some basic protective gear, but you don’t need to spend a ton of money to obtain it! The necessary pieces are reasonably priced and available at stores such as SportChek, Walmart, and Canadian Tire. There are also three fabulous used equipment shops in Vancouver: North Shore Sports Swap, Sports Junkies, and Cheapskates. While we have some spare gear for use during class, we can’t guarantee enough supply for everyone, or that what is available will fit your child perfectly. Fencing masks, swords, and archery equipment are provided by the school and sterilized after each use.
- Groin protection (Jock strap and cup is required for boys and a Jill strap is reccomended for girls.)
- Rigid plastic elbow and knee pads.
- Shoulder and shin guards are recommended, but not required.
- Padded gloves, such as hockey or lacrosse gloves.
- How easy is it to get to Academie Duello?
For transit users, we are very close to the Waterfront Skytrain Station, West Coast Express, and the downtown Seabus Terminal, with many families walking, biking or scootering to our studio. Conversely, with our curbside drop off and pick up at our front front door, commuting by car is far easier than you might expect.
- Is this program only for boys? Will there be any girls in class?
In our programs, girls are not a minority and are just as excited and capable as boys! Approximately half of our students and instructors are female. All genders, gender identities, and gender expressions are welcome and represented.
- How do you practice martial arts safely?
We use martial arts to teach fair play, discipline, and respect for self and others. Many kids play with swords at home and our classes teach them to do that in an inherently safe, considerate, and regardful way. Minimizing injury risk is a top priority for us, so we have designed courses and protective gear requirements such that our classes are very safe, with all activities supervised by a professional instructor. The fundamental emphasis in Knight Academie is on care, compassion, and virtue.
- What if my child is really shy?
That’s ok! We welcome all types of kids and have had many of them start out very shy and unsure. Some have been almost too afraid to step through the door at first, but they have all ended up having an absolute blast in our classes! If you’re concerned about your child feeling shy or fearful, we invite you to call the front desk (604.568.9907) to arrange a tour to help your kid feel comfortable in our space. We do this for families quite often and it really helps kids to see how welcoming the school is. Once they get inside, their shyness is less of an issue as they become enthralled at the sight of all the cool stuff that they’re going to get to use in class!
- What if we have to miss a class?
Pending space and availability, your child can catch up by arranging a make-up class. Call or email the front desk to arrange! (604) 568-9907 or email@example.com.
- What if my kid doesn’t like sparring?
Knight Academie isn’t just about sparring. Classes include archery, exciting stories about history, cool knightly virtue activities, and games. We approach sparring in creative ways, including games like Sword Tag and Dodge & Jump which emphasize fun, physical skills, and free movement. With different levels of sparring participation, kids who love it can do lots, and kids who are not as comfortable with it can do less. We also have other ways they can learn and help out the Masters during sparring, such as helping marshal sparring matches!
- Will this be too easy/hard for my child to learn?
Each class will have beginner as well as intermediate level instruction so that no matter their experience level your child will always have fun and appropriately challenging activities.