Some photos from last Saturday's Longsword Workshop

Last Saturday (March 17th) I taught a workshop on Applied Combatives for the Longsword.  The focus of this workshop was on taking skills learned and practiced in technical classes and put them into the context of sparring. Exercises followed Fiore's four combative aspects Prudence, Courage, Fortitude, and Speed and put techniques under various kinds of…

Read More... from Some photos from last Saturday's Longsword Workshop

Near-indecipherable International Sword Press

It’s spring and a young duellist’s thoughts turn to … Europe! Apparently, they have lots of castle’s there, lots of blades lying around waiting to be discovered and lots of WMA/HEMA-aficionado company to share! I wonder if they have beer in Europe too?   Lots of Competition!   ОРЕНБУРГСКИЕ НОВОСТИ (Orenberg, Russia) 13 March 12…

Read More... from Near-indecipherable International Sword Press

Arte, Ardore, Onore documentary wins Women in Film Award

The 10 minute documentary by Tatiana Balashova about Academie Duello has won the Distribution Award from the Women in Film festival happening this weekend in Vancouver. In fact the film will be premiering today at 3:30pm! You can read more about it at the festival here. Congratulations to Tatiana for her accolade!  

Read More... from Arte, Ardore, Onore documentary wins Women in Film Award

The triumvirate of Rapier, Sidesword, and Longsword - This month in Mastery at Academie Duello

As you may or may not know our curriculum at Academie Duello in the Mastery Program runs on a scheduled calendar based on what level you are at. Each month there is a different focus in class, perhaps a different weapon or a change in strategic or technical theme. This is one of the rare…

Read More... from The triumvirate of Rapier, Sidesword, and Longsword - This month in Mastery at Academie Duello

Forteza Fitness in Chicago is doing some cool stuff!

My friends Greg Mele and Keith Jennings as well as associated others, including Tony Wolf, have setup a new salle of swordsmanship, Bartitsu and much more in Chicago. The centre is called Forteza Fitness and it is the new home of the Chicago Swordplay Guild and the Bartitsu Club of Chicago. They recently got some…

Read More... from Forteza Fitness in Chicago is doing some cool stuff!

Past, Present and Future (?) Sword Press

Nicci looked up at Kahlan . "Knives are not my talent." "It's not hard," Kahlan said as she pressed the handle into Nicci's hand. "When the time is right, just stick the pointed end somewhere important in someone you really don't like." Quotes from the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, courtesy of Wikiquote.…

Read More... from Past, Present and Future (?) Sword Press

Intro to Stage Combat Next Weekend and Spring Break Knight Camp!

"(on Errol Flynn) He was not an actor of enormous talent - he would have admitted that himself - but in all those swashbuckling things he was beautiful." - Bette Davis Intro to Stage Combat Sunday, March 11, 2012 2pm-6pm In this intensive 4-hour workshop, we’ll cover the basics of stage combat, including: ▪Slaps ▪Punches…

Read More... from Intro to Stage Combat Next Weekend and Spring Break Knight Camp!

Archery and Umbrellas

“Four things come not back: the spoken word, the sped arrow, the past life and the neglected opportunity.” -Proverb Beginner Archery (FULL!) Sunday, March 4, 2012 9am-3pm Beginner Archery will cover the basics of archery using a recurve bow; including correct stance, the Y grip, proper breathing and the three finger draw and release technique. Also…

Read More... from Archery and Umbrellas

Sword Press in Modern Times

This week’s offering is eclectic in origin and subject, sometimes one just gets lucky.  The major lesson that the Major would like you to take away today is that the cost of some of our kit can be substantial – take care of it – and each others’.   Making Swords in Modern Times  …

Read More... from Sword Press in Modern Times

Gentry, Children and The Sort of People Who Like to Sweat at 7am...

Academie Duello is calling! "All I want is a gentleman. I'm sick to bloddy death of bastards!" -Katie Price Intro to Bartitsu Workshop Saturday, February 25, 2012 1pm-5pm Learn the mixed martial art of the Victorian English Gentleman. In this four-hour workshop, you'll acquire the essential Bartitsu skills of Boxing, Jujitsu, Savate and Cane fighting:…

Read More... from Gentry, Children and The Sort of People Who Like to Sweat at 7am...