Mille Grazie!

A thousand thanks to everyone who contributed some of their precious long weekend time to our double-barrelled work party on Saturday and Monday! On Saturday our team augured post holes, and made concrete footings for the post saddles in preparation for Monday's framing team, which measured, sawed, drilled and bolted the bones of the shedrow…

Read More... from Mille Grazie!

Beer-based Sword Press

“You’re a mule, Brennan, fitted neither to a rustic life nor a professional one – a bloody anachronism – a social mule, public school educated, trained to appreciate Chartreuse in a world where you cannot afford beer, taught to use a rapier in a world where other bastards use guns.” Plummer, D. Brian. ‘Lepus’. Coch-y-Bonddu…

Read More... from Beer-based Sword Press

Academie Duello Appears on CBC French

If you speak French or at least like watching moving pictures, take a look at this spot that appeared last month on CBC Television French about Academie Duello, Knight Camp, and me. They did a fine editing job to make my French sound semi-reasonable. Also appearing are Sabrina and Cartson, french speaking Knight Camp students,…

Read More... from Academie Duello Appears on CBC French

Magical Sword Press

Swords and magic have been consistent companions since blades were first born of fire from raw chunks of rock.  Even today, the ‘magical sword’ – be it blessed or cursed – is a mainstay in modern day fiction writing - and no little featuring in computer games!.   Accessorise, accessorise, accessorise!   SCHWÄBISCHE ZEITUNG (Leutkirch,…

Read More... from Magical Sword Press

Date Change for Mounted Tournament

We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming for this important announcement: Due to everyone being too mind-meltingly busy this month we have postponed the Mounted Games tournament till September 30th.  However, since we have the time set aside this Sunday we will run a Practice TournamentSunday 26th August1pm - 4pmRed Colt Equestrian Farm Co-opcost: $5 (own…

Read More... from Date Change for Mounted Tournament

Staged Sword Press

Show of hands – how many ‘originally’ came to their interest in swordplay from reading books such as ‘Yvain’, ‘Scaramouche’ or ‘Prince Caspian’?   One – two – three … OK, hands down. And those whom were captured by blade work after watching television or movies such as ‘The Mark of Zorro’, ‘The Princess Bride’, Scaramouche…

Read More... from Staged Sword Press

Event Report: World Wide Open Championships Germany

Greetings all, I have been rather silent on the Academie Duello blog over the past 2 weeks as I have been away in Germany at the third World Wide Open Championship that took place just outside of Hannover.  I thought I'd take a few moments to share my impression and experiences of this Historical European…

Read More... from Event Report: World Wide Open Championships Germany

Read Israeli Sword Press … in Russian

We love this job – We read Japanese-language blogs about German sword fighting; Estonian press about a Canadian ‘knight’; and now Israeli sword-press in Russian!  Notwithstanding the problems of the Internet; it has provided significant resources to students and practitioners of the WMA art wherever they are – and more importantly, given us the opportunity…

Read More... from Read Israeli Sword Press … in Russian

Civic Sword Press

During this day, Canada’s Civic Holiday – what better reason to post WMA/HEMA-related events supported whole-heartedly by … civic authorities?  Yes, we’re going back to Russia!  (Apparently, last weeks assertion that things were quiet ‘over there’ was sadly mistaken, to say nothing of completely wrong!}   Russia: Big Place … Big Events   МАНГАЗЕЯ (Tobolsk,…

Read More... from Civic Sword Press

Holiday snaps

I'm on holiday at the moment, and far too full of sun and food to stir myself into writing a proper post.  But I thought you all might enjoy some photos of the RCMP Musical Ride Museum & Stables in Ottawa: See the full gallery on Posterous Three year olds enjoying turnout. The stables. A…

Read More... from Holiday snaps

A Kinder, Gentler Sword Press?

Women – don’t mess with them!  They’re out in force this week – thrusting, stabbing, falling off of things, falling onto things and taking a fall. If my modest experience with local WMA/HEMA groups is any indication, we have one of the few martial arts that encourages, nay – requires at times, both genders to…

Read More... from A Kinder, Gentler Sword Press?

Edith Garrud and Jujitsuffragettes

Tony Wolf, the author of the two volumes of the Bartitsu Compendium, has also written a related book called Edith Garrud: the Suffragette who knew jujutsu. He is currently developing a work of multimedia fiction inspired by the Suffragette Bodyguard stories. Suffragette Bodyguards This week, Tony's article on the Bartitsu.org website focuses on The Amazons…

Read More... from Edith Garrud and Jujitsuffragettes

Quiet, Responsible Sword Press

Its another quiet week for WMA/HEMA press, there’s nothing art-wise on the doorstep today.  Even our Slavic and Germanic peers seem to be unnaturally quiet of late.  Maybe somebody from the Academie Duello should fly over to Europe and report back on the state of play and study over there!We do however, offer a modest…

Read More... from Quiet, Responsible Sword Press