Bringing a 500 year old wrestling system back to life

A few weeks ago I was in Eugene, Oregon teaching a seminar at the Northwest Fencing Academy. The day after the seminar I got together with school director Sean Hayes and his senior student Mark Kruger to work with them a bit on an historical intepretation project of a 1537 wrestling manual written by a…

Read More... from Bringing a 500 year old wrestling system back to life

Cherished Sword Press

Older swords dominate this week, some of which qualify as gifts to be carefully wrapped and lovingly placed under your modest editors’ Christmas tree! As a historian, We find it ‘scary’ and depressing when We consider just how much history we loose each year as old items decay due to a lack of care; are…

Read More... from Cherished Sword Press

All-Slavic Sword Press

Eastern Europe is a ‘happening place’ for large scale WMA/HEMA/SCA-themed events – and they’re usually conducted with the support of local civic and provincial officials.  We’ve selected the most prominent for the last thirty-days and offer them up as ‘snippets’ for your further exploration, amusement … and maybe, just a little envy.   ИА REGNUM (St…

Read More... from All-Slavic Sword Press

In Service Sword Press

We’re lucky that sword blades endure the unforgiving ravages of time better than paper or wood; or some Green Cords too come to think of it.  Whether from the near or far past; swords and sword lore continue to influence our view of some of the world around us.   Swords in Service   HOLLY…

Read More... from In Service Sword Press

Don Juan coming to Vancouver in December at the Cultch

If you're a fan of theatre, you should mark your calendar for a very cool event coming up at the end of December in Vancouver; Blackbird Theatre Productions is putting on a rendition of Moliere's Don Juan set to hit the stage from December 26th to January 26th at the Vancouver East Cultural Centre. If you're…

Read More... from Don Juan coming to Vancouver in December at the Cultch

The Sound of Sword Press

We’re embarrassed by riches this week and most of the releases on “old” swords come from hi-tech, academic or modern-social culture sites!   Medieval Armour for Dummies.   WIRED (New York, New York) 13 November 12  How Medieval Arms Race Led to Swords Capable of Killing ‘Tin Can’ Knights (Mark Teppo) Mark Teppo, contributor to…

Read More... from The Sound of Sword Press

Event Report from the Known World Academy of the Rapier (KWAR) 2012

So this past weekend I was again teaching in Chicago, the home of my good friends at Forteza Fitness, but this time I was teaching at the Known World Academy of the Rapier or K-WAR. This event is put on by the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) an international historical reenactment society through whom I…

Read More... from Event Report from the Known World Academy of the Rapier (KWAR) 2012

Routine Sword Press

Press from near and far – and a lesson as to just how portable WMAHEMA knowledge is these days.  And on a minor note; Yes, when you update to Windows 9 - all your previous documentation formatting goes out the window.  Your patience is appreciated. Swords in Training LA NOUVELLE REPUBLIQUE (Tours, France) 24…

Read More... from Routine Sword Press

Desperately Seeking Susan Sword Press

Or at least her newspaper provider.  Slim, rapier-like pickings this week We fear.   German Longsword – by Germans for Germans..   DER WESTEN (Essen, Germany) 04 November 12  Fechten wie im Mittelalter (Anna Hückelheim) Christian Bott continues his WMA/HEMA work in Germany with his latest long sword workshop.  Seven students – one a lady…

Read More... from Desperately Seeking Susan Sword Press

Victorian Shaving for Movember

The month of November is here, and the ritual of growing a mustache to raise funds for testicular cancer and other men's health issues has been dubbed Movember. Deliberate and sometimes elaborate facial hair was common in Victorian era, so I'm sure Bartitsu enthusiasts are keen to learn more. Mustache Goals If you're participating in…

Read More... from Victorian Shaving for Movember

Beer-battered Sword Press

“Walter came with seventeen companions to the brewhouse with stones in their hoods, swords, knives and other weapons.  They drank four gallons of beer … the brewer’s wife realized that there would be trouble and, together with the brewer, “prayed” Walter and his companions would leave.  They refused, saying that they would stay and spend…

Read More... from Beer-battered Sword Press

Victorian-Themed Halloween

October is the month of death and candy in North America, so let's talk about a steampunk-Holmes-Victorian Halloween. Besides your best clockwork sky pirate garb, I don't have costume ideas, just some inspiration and factoids. Jack the Ripper Synonymous with the words "serial killer", Jack the Ripper murdered female prostitutes in the Whitechapel district of…

Read More... from Victorian-Themed Halloween

3-Month Marketing Internship at Academie Duello

Academie Duello, Vancouver's exciting centre for European Swordplay and Martial Arts, is looking for a Marketing Intern who is interested to build their skills and experience in marketing writing, social media, and marketing logistics. This is an ideal opportunity for an excellent written communicator to receive mentorship and build their resume while working at…

Read More... from 3-Month Marketing Internship at Academie Duello

I'm Teaching Workshops in Eugene and Chicago

If you live in Eugene, Oregon or Chicago, Illinois I'll be in your area in the next few weeks teaching workshops on Italian Knife, Longsword, Sidesword, and Rapier. This weekend on Saturday the 27th I'll be visiting Northwest Fencing Academy in Eugene Oregon to teach two workshops, one on Italian Knife and the second on…

Read More... from I'm Teaching Workshops in Eugene and Chicago

Sword …We mean Arrow; oops, sorry – Sword Press

Swords, bows and lances all compete for column-inch in today’s offering.  Whatever your preference in WMA/HEMA interests, it appears (in the press at least) that you’re not alone out there.   Not Your Padres’ Destreza   MSN (New Delhi, India) 15 October 12  Medieval fight club This is not so much a press report as…

Read More... from Sword …We mean Arrow; oops, sorry – Sword Press

Join us for a Hallowe'en Cabaret Saturday October 27th!

Greetings, Duellists! It's that time of year again--time to dust off your costumes, gorge yourself on sweet stuff and then work it off swordfighting and rocking out with your friends! Details This coming Saturday, October 27th, join us at Academie Duello from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. for a Hallowe'en Cabaret featuring: a Pumpkin Carving…

Read More... from Join us for a Hallowe'en Cabaret Saturday October 27th!

Cracked.com perhaps not the best authority on historical swordplay

Cracked.com this week has thrown up an article entitled: The 5 Weapon Myths you Probably Believe Thanks to the Movies.  Myth #4 is that the sword's edge was used to parry incoming blows. In the most masterful of internet-based research, the writer has cited a misguided article by John Clements and two -- as far…

Read More... from Cracked.com perhaps not the best authority on historical swordplay