Sociable Sword Press: News for April 2015

“It’s everyone from everywhere in one place.” –Bruno Ramos, Knight’s Blade HEMA Fresh from flying home from VISS at the end of last month, the statement above really resonated with my experiences with the Vancouver International Swordplay Symposium, and with my modest exposure to HEMA events internationally. Peers from all over the world fly across continents…

Read More…

What’s at VISS for Mounted Combatants?

The Vancouver International Swordplay Symposium is coming up this weekend.  If you have any interest at all in western martial arts, whether as a current practice or from a historical point of view, this is an event you don’t want to miss!  Although there are no specific Mounted Combat workshops taking place at VISS, here’s a…

Read More…

Special Guest Instructor: Bob Charrette

March is underway which means that the Vancouver International Swordplay Symposium is almost upon us.  We have a  star-studded list of HEMA instructors and lecturers coming in from around the world.  One of the guests is particularly near and dear to my heart and that would be Bob Charrette.  Not only will Bob be offering…

Read More…

Ursulmas 2015 Tournament Report

This past weekend a crew consisting of me and five senior students from Academie Duello headed down to the 2015 Ursulmas Championship tournament in Monroe, Washington. This is a tournament hosted by the Society for Creative Anachronism, an organization devoted to re-enactment of the middle ages and renaissance in various forms, including combat. (In the…

Read More…

Beginner’s Courses February 2015

As of the new year, we have a new schedule for the next round of beginner’s courses! Prepare for swinging swords and pulling punches. We offer three different courses which cover three separate avenues of Western Martial Arts. Bartitsu is a complex martial art with many interlocking skills. Our four-week Fight Like Sherlock Holmes course gives students an in-depth…

Read More…

The Seven Principles of Kwanzaa and How to Apply Them As Martial Artists

Today is the first day of Kwanzaa.  Many of us know of  Kwanzaa, but not many of us know its origins and how it is celebrated. Today, I would like to talk about what the holiday truly means, and how we can apply its core principles to our lives as martial artists and practitioners of…

Read More…

Merry Christmas from Academie Duello

Merry Christmas to all the wonderful practitioners of swordplay and all of our martial arts brothers and sisters. May your year be filled with the ringing of steel, the feel of a good blade in your hand, and the embrace of brethren at arms. I hope that before you are both the challenges that make…

Read More…

Beginners Courses for Next Year/ January

A new year is coming so get into our next round of Beginner’s Courses! Prepare for swinging swords and pulling punches. We offer three different courses which cover different avenues of Western Martial Arts: Fight Like Sherlock Holmes Bartitsu is a complex martial art with many interlocking skills. Our four-week Fight Like Sherlock Holmes course gives students…

Read More…

Arte, Ardore, Onore a Documentary Film

“Arte, Ardore, Onore” is the motto of Academie Duello, which simply means: skill, passion, honour. These are the three guiding principles of our school. To practice the art as authentically as possible; to pursue and feed our passions for a happier, more fulfilling life; and to honour our teachers, training partners, and opponents. Arte, Ardore,…

Read More…

Devon’s visit to the School of European Swordsmanship in Helsinki

This past weekend I was in Helsinki Finland visiting Guy Windsor’s School of European Swordsmanship. It was the last stop on my teaching tour of Europe and a very nice place to make my last major visit before coming home. On Saturday both Guy and I travelled to Tampere, about 2-hours North of Helsinki for…

Read More…

Photos and Comments From the Duelling Arts Rapier Tournament

Last Friday night Academie Duello and the Social Concierge hosted an elegant tournament and demonstration of swordplay at the Vancouver Club in downtown Vancouver.  The evening involved performances from the Vancouver Opera, Champagne Sabreing with various historical swords, a beautiful decked out ballroom, and an invitational rapier tournament of Academie Duello’s senior students. The event,…

Read More…