Post 30 for 30 Swordplay Training Challenges

Congratulations to everyone who made it all the way through the 30 for 30 Swordplay Challenge last month, whether you hit every day or missed a few! It's a pretty cool feat to up your training to any degree and set a new habit that reflects your goals. I hit every day and got a…

Read More... from Post 30 for 30 Swordplay Training Challenges

A Great Canada Day Weekend of Swordplay and Fun

(Photo from 24 Hours cover - Carmine Marinelli) The last few days have been a whirlwind for Academie Duello. Here are a few things you may have missed! Vancouver Courier Article We were in the Vancouver courier last week in an article about Knight Camp and other cool summer camps going on in Vancouver. Be…

Read More... from A Great Canada Day Weekend of Swordplay and Fun

Hear Ye, Hear Ye!

September 27th - 29th is Tourney Time! Yes, planning is in the works for our Annual Knightly Games Tournament!  This year we're making a full weekend of it by adding another iteration of the popular Mounted Archery Workshop, and including a day of riding, mounted combat, and games practice beforehand. Friday 27 September Workshops, Lessons,…

Read More... from Hear Ye, Hear Ye!

Summer Knight Camps at Academie Duello!

Looking for a unique Summer Camp experience? Send your child on an adventure back in time, to train as a Knight from the Middle Ages! Youth aged 8 to 14 will enjoy activities such as martial instruction in weapons such as the longsword and quarterstaff, archery, medieval games and more! "My son went to Knight Camp…

Read More... from Summer Knight Camps at Academie Duello!

Borealis Swordplay Symposium and Tournament Report

(photo taken by Penny Higgins) I returned home this past Monday from the excellent Borealis Swordplay Symposium in Ottawa which was hosted by Jason Smith and crew of Ottawa's Les Maitres d'Armes. The event was two days long with day one focusing on 2-hour workshops and some room for free fencing, and day two focusing…

Read More... from Borealis Swordplay Symposium and Tournament Report

Article on Academie Duello at the Maelstrom Core Blog

Our friends at Maelstrom Core Martial Arts have written up a very nice article about Academie Duello on their blog. Maelstrom is a school that focuses on Filipino Martial Arts (FMA) and some related arts from surrounding regions and disciplines.  I have been consistently impressed with their attitude, teaching approach, and the calibre of their…

Read More... from Article on Academie Duello at the Maelstrom Core Blog

A Cool New Addition to the Duello Library

This Monday, Academie Duello was the proud recipient of one of 100 new reproductions of the I.33 Fechtbuch produced by Extraordinary Editions in cooperation with the Royal Armouries of the United Kingdom. I.33 is a very important manuscript as it is the earliest surviving European sword fighting manual, most likely dating to sometime in the…

Read More... from A Cool New Addition to the Duello Library

A fabulous day of Mounted Archery

On Sunday we welcomed Borsos Torzs Horse Archery Club to Red Colt for our first ever Mounted Archery clinic.  The weather was gorgeous, and, judging from the smiles on everyone's faces a great time was had by all!  Here's a summary of the day. Prior to the start of the workshop we tacked up nine…

Read More... from A fabulous day of Mounted Archery

Real & Re-Created Historical Sword Press

One might think after watching Our peers file, buff, wax and polish their blades after an evening of training, that our swords were delicate and gossamer twigs capable of dissolving into mist if not cared for and fussed over daily.  But history consistently proves that swords survive battle, weather, submersion, burial and the passage of…

Read More... from Real & Re-Created Historical Sword Press

More of the Same Sword Press

Separated as we are by provincial (or state) and international borders, oceans and sometimes … continents; it’s heartening to know that wherever you travel, you should be able to find other WMA/HEMA enthusiasts.  If you plan to visit someplace new, get onto the net and do a bit of research beforehand to see if there’s…

Read More... from More of the Same Sword Press

Déjà vu Sword Press

Tis spring, and a young man's fancy turns to … tournament! Yes, the Battle of the Nations approaches … and hordes of heavily armed fighters will move west to cross the eastern border of France to … wait … doesn’t this road look a bit familiar? Are We Here to Fight, or to Talk? THE…

Read More... from Déjà vu Sword Press

Upcoming April Workshops at Academie Duello

The weather is turning, the sun is shining and the city is heating up! What better time to warm up those muscles and try something new? Take a look at our upcoming workshops for April: Intro to Bartitsu Saturday, April 6, 2013 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm Learn the mixed martial art of the Victorian…

Read More... from Upcoming April Workshops at Academie Duello

Symbolic Sword Press II

Luddites, ala lantern!  We’ll try posting this again after being beat-up by technology … a week late.  And we'll catch-up later this week if one of my peer's leaves me a space. There’s nothing this (last) week on WMA/HEMA; but we do have a wealth of links highlighting swords as symbols: of history; of trust; or honour;…

Read More... from Symbolic Sword Press II

Scottish Symbols Sword Press

Scotsmen and Scottish swords dominate todays' offering – if this had happened in the early 16th century, would have meant that something had gone terribly wrong along the Scottish Marches!  But in modern context, the items do demonstrate that the modern Gael is still connected to his past and traditions – and swords (and sword…

Read More... from Scottish Symbols Sword Press